Proper Car Care = Clean Water
Even small leaks and spills can contaminate our waterways.
Fix Leaks, Clean Up Spills
Vehicle leaks are polluting Puget Sound and local waterways. Even small amounts of spilled or dumped oil can contaminate entire stretches of shoreline, shellfish growing areas and recreational attractions.
- Next time you get an oil change, ask your mechanic to check for leaks.
- Check for leaks by placing a large sheet of clean cardboard under your engine when you come home.
- If your car is leaking, please get it fixed. In the meantime, keep using cardboard to catch drips and dispose in the trash.
- If changing your own oil or other automotive fluids, be extra careful to avoid spills and splatters.
- Use kitty litter to soak up any accidental spills, then sweep up and deposit in the garbage.
- Collect your used oil in a reusable waterproof container, then recycle it at the Thurston County Hazohouse or other local recycling repository.